Thursday, November 8, 2012

DIY-er

So about 3 1/2 - 4 years ago I bought a table in the clearance section of IKEA. It was baby pink and hideous, but was discounted down to $6 for a scratch at the top. I had been looking for a little table and decided that with Riley's background of helping his dad with woodworking that he could do a little transformation for me.

He tried to get me to sand it, but ever since I was little the sound of sandpaper makes me cringe. It's far worse than nails on a chalkboard. Pretty sure I batted my eyes to get him to sand it, I just had to hang out in the garage with him. I then watched him spray paint this horrid table from baby pink to black. He did an amazing job, and I was SUPER sad when he gave that table away to one of the Marines after the last deployment.

Prior to moving to Hawaii I did not really believe in DIY. All the projects I attempted turned out SUPER cheesy looking. Upon my arrival I was busy house training a puppy, which gave me extra time to kill. I started following a few amazing DIY blogs and the ideas started flowing. At first I would have to replicate their ideas as close as I could. But as time goes on I find myself able to come up with ideas and able to execute them. Last deployment I bought some old windows and made a wall hang out of one of them. this next week I plan to transform it into a christmas decoration... I am really excited since I already have everything I need for the project and it won't cost me a dime.

I also recently scored a table at the Salvation Army (yes I remember that I said I was boycotting them.. but for $40 I was willing to call a temporary truce.) It is large and has 2 leafs.. Now I just need some chairs for this amazing find. At first my plan was to sand it down and paint it white. Then find lots of chairs and paint them a rainbow of different colors... BOOOO-RING, it's been done a hundred times on pinterest. Then as I stood at the wall of spray paint at the home depot, inspiration hit. WA-BAM. I would paint the table Colonial Red (by rustolium) and then find some chairs to paint white. GENIUS. I bought the paint and headed home, uber proud of myself. Soon I was telling Rye of my plans when he suggested that I STAIN the table instead of paint. Never done it before but after looking up red stained objects I decided that is what I REALLY want. I called my father in law who just walked me through the process... so hopefully I will be able to get this project done in the next week.

I am so grateful that I was able to find inspiration in what others do. I'm also grateful for the talent and ability to DIY. I know that others are not able/willing to do this, so I am thankful that I have the skills and talent needed for such projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What-Do-Ya-Think? lemme know!