Thursday, November 15, 2012

Cloth Diapering

Alright I've been Cloth Diapering for nearly 7 weeks now. This will be my first official reviews and tips post. Keep in mind, every baby is completely different. I am still super new to this and don't pretend to know even HALF of what I need to know. So please be understanding. This is just what is working for ME at the moment. This will be the first of MANY cloth diaper posts, and hopefully if you were thinking about cloth diapering or currently are, I will be able to provide some kind of insight. I will include pictures as well!

My Stash

  • 14 Bumgenius 4.0- I LOVE these... can I just say how much I LOVE these! I stuff them with the large adjustable insert with the fatter part up front since boys tend to pee towards the front of a diaper. I have not had ONE leak in these. They are the first diapers that I reach for. I have 8 or 9 that are snaps and the others are velcro. I will always try to set aside the velcro so that I have them ready for the middle of the night change. It's much easier to slap the velcro closed than to try to line up the snaps on the right setting in the dark. 
  • 3 fuzzibunz pocket- So far I give these 1 1/2 stars... I had leaks EVERY time I put these on. I hear nothing but awesome reviews on these so I have been super frustrated. But I just adjusted the settings and I THINK AND HOPE AND PRAY that I fixed the issue. the first time I put him in it after the change and I didn't have a leak... So we will see. I really want these to work. So stay tuned, I really do believe they have the potential to be amazing diapers
  • 5 flip Covers- No complaints about these. HOWEVER no one told me that there are special inserts you can put in the flip that is able to touch baby's skin (cause normal microfiber inserts CANNOT touch baby) I think I may end up ordering some of these (shhh don't tell Riley)
  • 2 bumkins pocket-I loved these. They were in my most used pile. They are super cute, I especially love his turtles print. Recently though they started leaking, so I am actually stripping them right now. Hopefully stripping them fixes the problem. Cause I love these. I try to stuff these with the same bum genius adjustable insert. If I don't have any left I use 2 smaller inserts
  • 2 Grovia All in One's- I have 1 infant and 1 one size. These are fantastic. They are normally a little pricey, but I got them both on a Grovia seconds sale. The infant one has leaked the past 2 times. I'm stripping it right now but honestly, I think he may have just outgrown it... This makes me sad. I really love his little robot diaper.
  • 3 MG baby pocket (I think it's cool that it says MG baby... get it... Miles Gardiner... Yup I'm a nerd)- Love these. I got through all 3 with every load (which I do every other day) I stuff them the same way. I am also able to use these as night time diapers, which is always a plus! 
  • 3 lotus bumz pocket-I like these, but don't love the colors that I have... which is a stupid reason not to use them, but I find myself passing it for a cuter one... other than that I don't have any complaints about how they work. I don't worry about these leaking and just stuff them the same way.
  • 1 small Baby beehind cover- This cover is AWESOME I absolutely love the velcro on it. It's not normal velcro and sticks to every part of the diaper so I am not limited to the small velcro tabs. 
  • 3 random brands that came in the mail and I don't love the colors... So I will probably pass them on to someone---- Honestly I've never used these.
  • 3 large and 2 medium workhorse- I am going to try the medium and see how it works, he might still be too small, but we shall see. 
  • about a dozen infant prefolds- I use these with a snappi under a cover. Sometimes I will just fold it in thirds and set it in the cover, that seems to work as well. You just have to make sure you change it within the 2 hours. 
  • about a dozen and a half newborn prefolds- I WAS using these... I suppose I could use these to stuff diapers now. 
  • a billion microfiber inserts- I know a lot of people complain about these inserts. They come with virtually every diaper you order, and so far I haven't had any issues... however I am very new at this. 
Also I have some new additions to my stash... Cloth diapering is an addiction. So please know that going into it! 
These are my new Thirsties covers.

I am SO excited to try the thirsties. I hear awesome things about them, and I got the inserts to go with them.

Alva baby pocket diapers
I was wanting to try these and so I am pretty stoked to be able to do so!


My poor little robot diaper... You lived a good short life... I'm sure the next baby G will love you. 

Also did you notice my new rug... I love it!

Wash & Care

Currently I am doing laundry every 2-2 1/2 days. I WAS using charlie's soap but when that ran out I decided to try and make my own. I ended up making some with Borax, Washing soda, and oxi clean. I also added a little peppermint oil. So every time I do laundry my whole laundry room smells slightly of candy canes (LOVE). I use 1 TBSP of this in each load. I even started using it for my normal laundry. I am completely in love with this. It is also much cheaper than paying $30 for a tub of soap that will only last 80 loads. I throw my diapers in on the sanitize setting and then dry the inserts and hang all the covers and diapers out to dry over night. So far so good. I only have slight staining on a few of the diapers and I need to try and sun them to bleach them out. I am curious how well sunning actually works... anyone know? 

I still highly recommend having a wet bag (or 3). I need to get a big one for the nursery, but so far my three little bags have worked out great! 

I am only using disposables when I go to church (his church clothes fit better with them) and if I'm out and about in town for a long period of time. I find that he will have blow outs and leak in disposables, and NOT in cloth

So far I am in LOVE with this whole thing. It's working out awesome for us. If you have any questions of tips for me, leave a comment! 





5 comments:

  1. Hey, Sav, about how much money do you think you save using cloth? I know disposables are expensive, but what would you say the monthly savings are overall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shawnae! Well overall I have spend $13 on disposables, that was the first week when his umbilical cord was still attached so I didn't want him in cloth cause it would rub against it. Overall I spent a little over $300 on my stash, and I think I'd be close to spending 30-40 a month.... so by the time he's 8-10 months it will have paid itself off completely. Plus I will be able to cloth diaper our next kiddo too without buying more!

      Delete
  2. How'd you only spend 300$ now that I see you do cloth diaper, bum genius seems to be best, where'd ya find some cheap??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I really love my bum genius, I use the 4.0's. they are awesome. HOWEVER, I am falling more and more in love with sunbaby diapers. They are like less than $5 per diaper. If you buy them with a co-op you can get them for like 3 something. They are AMAZING especially for the price. I was careful and just bought some here and there when they would have huge sales. Watch for seconds sales on cotton babies

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like to read.Hope to learn a lot and have a nice experience here! my best regards guys! Feel free to visit my web page Modern cloth nappies Australia

    ReplyDelete

What-Do-Ya-Think? lemme know!