Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Praise to the Man!

so Riley was in the field for 10 days on what they call RimPac (Rim of the Pacific) it was basically just a training to test out new walkie talkies.. he obviously explained it with many many more official sounding words :) so he came back about a week ago. i was expecting him around midnight, so i had dinner ready to pop in the oven around midnight so he could have a hot meal since he'd been eating power bars and MRE's for a week. so i popped dinner in around 12:30, then turned off the oven and left it in so it would stay warm.... i didn't realize he wouldn't get home until 3! so then he showered (THANK GOODNESS!) and we sat down and ate dinner at 4 in the morning. then we laid down and took a 1 1/2 hour nap before he had to be back at work. needless to say it was a LONG day.

So while he was in the bathroom shaving his head before showering he was telling me how i got a song stuck in his head, and he'd been singing it since the day he left for the training. so we started trying to figure out what song it was. we knew it was a hymn from church because he said i sing it to Deezul.... ok real quick Deezul is such a hellion sometimes, but the second i start singing him hymns he settles down and falls right to sleep. it's the most amazing thing EVER!!! so i do it quite often haha. so i was going through a bunch of hymns i normally sing. and then he said it was one of my favorites. so i started naming off my favorite hymns... and let me just tell you, i have ALOT! well mystery solved it was "I Need Thee Every Hour" A GOOD CHOICE!

so then it was stuck in BOTH our heads and we needed to hear it. so he told me that we REALLY needed to download some MoTab (that's the Mormon Tabernacle Choir for you non-Mormon readers) so the next day i went onto ITunes and downloaded a mix that would fit our taste. but it got me thinking about my favorite hymn.. and while i always have a rotating group of favorites my very favorite has always stayed the same. and i know WHY it's my favorite. i can pin it down to the exact sunday it became my favorite. which makes me wonder... how many of our choices of what we like are based on things our parents said when we were little? think about it!

so here is the story. to any one else it may not seem like a big deal but it's one of those things that has ALWAYS stuck with me. i must have been 5 or 6, and i was sitting on my dad's lap in sacrament meeting at church. and you know how you look up and see what hymn numbers you are singing and see if any that you really like are up there. well my dad was skimming through the hymn book and just seeing what was on the Agenda to sing that sunday morning. and Praise to the Man was on there. and i remember him whispering in my ear that it was his very favorite hymn. then when it came time to sing it, i was excited to hear what my dad's favorite hymn was... now my dad is not a singer. and i don't know if he usually didn't sing along or if i just don't remember it any other time. but i remember him singing along loud and proud and bouncing me on his knee. my dad doesn't go to church anymore, but every time i hear that song, i think of how excited he was to sing it, and i wonder if it would still make him smile to hear it.

1 comment:

  1. not gonna lie, i got a little teary eyed reading the last story. i hope you are doing good and it's great to hear you are trying to get some Mo-tab on the base.

    ReplyDelete

What-Do-Ya-Think? lemme know!