Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Swear Jar

so living on a military base has made me realize how much swearing really goes on! now i'll be the first to admit that me and Riley had NO problem swearing, and then like 1 1/2-2 years ago i go really sick of it and would get mad at him for swearing. he'd be playing XBox and that invokes feelings of rage in boys that only a game could. so we'd fight all the time about how much i HATED his swearing. and i'd basically get back a "that's too bad"

but that all changed when he went to bootcamp. most guys pick up a few new choice words at Bootcamp, but Rye wanted to be different. be became super involved with the church, and started really trying to set an example for the other guys. he didn't want to be they hypocritical guy who would say he was mormon and then do things he shouldn't. he's slipped up maybe twice in the last 6 months. and i've slipped up probably a few more times than that. but overall we are trying to be better. because when you tell people you are Mormon, they watch you closer, and hold you to a higher standard. i don't want them to ever be able to say "i thought you weren't allowed to do that?!"

that being said, i'm not here to convert the world. and i've always been "one of the guys" ask Rye and most of my other friends. i'm not one to blush when "Guy talk" comes up. and i'll usually offer my opinion of a girl they are talking about as in "GROSS YOU THINK LINDSEY LOHAN IS HOT?!" or "no, no, no Jessica Alba is WAAAAY Hotter than Jessica Beil"  HOWEVER... i do feel that in my own house and my car that people should respect my beliefs. obviously i probably can't stop all the dirty jokes and inappropriate comments. but honestly you don't NEEEEED to use the F word 14 times in a 15 word sentence... i mean c'mon! so after a few weeks of dealing with this i have decided to attempt to put a stop to it.

Soooo, i have started the swear Jar. i was looking for a Jar to put the money in, and all i could find was a little pineapple piggy bank... so it is officially the "Potty Mouth Pineapple" where bad words cost a nickle. i don't feel it fair to charge them EVERY time i am in their presence because i figure eventually they will associate me with not swearing. but when they are in my car or over for dinner. i keep a running tally of how much they owe me at the end of the night. and then they are not allowed over for dinner or given a ride until they pay up. i only charge 5 cents... cause i don't think they could afford if i charged any more. i'm confident that this will eventually work.

they try to DARE me and Riley to say bad words. like at dinner about 2 weeks ago this one kid was daring me to say i think the F word. and told me he would give me his old ticket movie stub if i did it.... ummmm first off. what kind of bribe is that?!?! so i asked him what i would gain from doing that. and he just kept at it. so i said Freak. he said no the other F word. "ooooh Fetch" nope the other one "Flip, Fudge, frick" i don't think these boys know how many OTHER things you could say. i don't know that they had ever heard anyone say "oh shoot, i left my sunglasses in the car" or "DANGIT! we missed the movie" or "holy Crap that hurt" we do get mocked... but secretly i think they have a different kind of respect for us :)

1 comment:

  1. I SO miss you too! Kills me that you're so far away...who's going to come see breaking dawn with me? And every other chick flick that Dal won't go to with me for! :)

    ReplyDelete

What-Do-Ya-Think? lemme know!