Sunday, September 30, 2012

Cloth Diapering In Practice

So I have been researching cloth diapering for YEARS, no I'm not exaggerating. I first wanted to do it in 2008, Riley shot down that Idea... thankfully he came around once I showed him the research and the truth about how it actually works.

My total cost to this day is $320 for all the cloth diapers I have. That includes my stash of about 35-ish pocket & All in One's, 7 covers, and 30-ish prefolds (just newborn and infant size at the moment). I have only 1 snappi, but have a package of 10 in my cart on amazon right now.

The past 2 1/2 days I have put Miles in cloth during the daytime when we are downstairs. After his bedtime bath I put him in disposables for the night and until the late morning that is what he stays in. We still have lots of disposables that were given to us, no use in wasting them! I had to buy an extra pack of newborn diapers with the umbilical cord cutout, 1 package of huggies cost $13 for 60 something diapers.. .That is ridiculous! How do people afford to diaper a child?! He waits till I change him to finish pooping! So now I have to wait a good 10 minutes after the first sound to make sure he's done.

So far we have had 1 leak. And it was a user error. I did not tighten it properly, or he may still be too small for that particular one. So far it's been pretty easy! My only issue is that I can't tell when he's wet. It seems to stay the same bulkiness, and I don't want to have to test it with my finger... So I will go off and do my research for another way! I didn't think that I would like doing prefolds, but I don't mind it at all! it's nice to be able to just wipe off the cover with a wipe and stick on another pre fold, rather than have to put on a whole new diaper.

I highly recommend wet bags! I need to order a big one, but so far my little ones have worked. I'm doing my first load of dirty diapers tomorrow. I'm using Charlie's soap. I've been using it on his clothes and I really like it so far!

If you have zero interest in cloth diapering... I'm sorry for boring you with this post... but I'm sure you'll get over it! Tomorrow is my first day back working out. So I will be posting my first post-baby body picture... It won't be pretty, but it will be good for accountability!

I'll leave you with pictures of Miles in his cloth diapers. If you follow me on instagram, these may look familiar!
 This is Mr G in his first cloth diaper ever! A pre fold with a flip cover. It's a one size cover, and I was able to get 5 of these on seconds sale for I think $5 or $6 a piece. These were the first cloth diapers I purchased, so it seemed fitting to be the first I put him in! These are still a tiny bit loose around his legs, but still fit snug enough that I haven't had a leak yet.
 Mr G is sporting a prefold, and a Bee cover... I can't read the full name, it might be Bee Baby. it's a size small cover. This one worked REALLY well, and the velcro was able to be pulled super tight and it stuck to any part of the diaper which was nice seeing as it overlapped the other strap by a bit. I also got this one on zulily I believe.
 This one is not a diaper one.... This is Miles drunk on milk, and I love it!
He started screaming (for no reason I might add). So being the awesome mom I am I snapped a picture before picking him up and setting his world right again. He's wearing a MG Baby pocket diaper... I bought a few of these on zulily for I think $10, So far I love these, I've used 2 of them, they fit well and zero leaks. This one was REALLY full when I changed him since he wore it on our evening walk. So this is one I would recommend if it comes back on zulily!

2 comments:

  1. I totally am going to do cloth diapers for my next baby. I wish I had done more research!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this. It's great to hear how cloth diapering is going for someone I actually know. Post some updates and let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete

What-Do-Ya-Think? lemme know!