Monday, April 15, 2013

The Stakes Were High


I signed up and paid for my Disney Princess half marathon when I was 7 months pregnant. I had NEVER ran further than 8 miles (and I walked the last 2 miles of that). I had a plan. I would have a super easy birth (HA) and I would be off the couch, out of the house and running within 3 or 4 weeks. I was sure that 5 months was PLENTY of time to train my postpartum body for 13.1 miles... Easy peasy! I was excited to prove to myself and everyone how awesome I was... Pretty high expectations there.

At 3 1/2 weeks postpartum I took Miles out in the Bob stroller and went 2 miles... It was a VERY slow 2 miles, mostly walking... Took me the better part of an hour. I put up a picture or status after that first run and could not believe the out pouring of love and support I had from so many friends and family members. I had put SO much pressure on myself to be one of those success stories I had read so much of. I absolutely LOVE transformation stories, and was so motivated by all these mama's who had babies and looked FANTASTIC!

I put more pressure on myself the closer I got to the big race. I remember starting the half marathon and as miserable as I was.. I was SO relieved to finally be I guess finishing what I had started 7 months prior when I paid for this. I cried tears of joy at the finish line, SO many emotions. I was NOT near this emotional before Mr. G. Now I cry even at the thought of the amazing things that my body has done for me.

I got home and still felt the post race high. You feel on top of the world, and you are SURE that everyone is just in awe of you.... ya... my post race high is pretty ridiculously cocky.... It's a weakness, and I have been humbled greatly, so hopefully this will improve. I waited 5 days to run (WHAT?! WHY THE HECK DID I ONLY WAIT 5 DAYS?!?!) Ya, I did not listen to my body at ALL. In my mind, I couldn't let everyone who had cheered me on down. They would all be disappointed if I quit. I couldn't just get to the "top" and then quit. What would people think of me? Yes, that was my main focus... horrible. I was humbled on that first run after the race. I hurt myself pretty bad and couldn't walk for a few days. My body BADLY needed a break! I continued to push myself and do insanity a few times a week... and then it happened...

I crashed! The only way I can think to compare it to is a sugar rush. I was like a kid who had milkshakes and pancakes for breakfast, I was bouncing off the walls for 5 months, Then suddenly the sugar was gone and I crashed... hard. I had ZERO motivation to continue. I knew it was just going to be a phase, but that my body hadn't stopped going since I gave birth.

So I have spent the past few weeks making not so great choices food wise compared to how I normally eat. I haven't really worked out... I've just been "resting"... But I finally feel like my body feels like it got the spring break it needed. I am SO ready to get back in the game full force!

I am LOVING being a beach body coach so far! I completed the challenge group I was in and am ready to start my own (one that I don't have to share with training for a ginormous race) It was a little discouraging when I weighed myself after the 2 month challenge and had not lost any pounds... But then I took the measurements I had lost 7 inches! Being a nursing mom I went into the whole thing knowing that I could not focus on pounds and had to just go in with the goal of toning and improving my overall fitness.
I'm trying to remember to be proud of myself for every step that I take to becoming who I ultimately want to be. I am so excited to get back to running longer! I'm also going to try out this boxing studio and will be ordering combat to try out that program!

In case you want to look into any fun beachbody stuff, here's my LINK!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What-Do-Ya-Think? lemme know!