Saturday, October 15, 2011

Lazy Weekend

Well the race was this morning... i woke up and forgot that i was planning on taking a few dayquil's prior to leaving for north shore, so that didn't happen. the car ride was filled with Riley almost falling asleep, and me trying to stop coughing. So i already knew that i was NOT excited about singing. nobody wants to sing if you can already guarantee some crackage in your voice. So i decided to just accept that and attempt to ready my mind for my first ever race.

So in case you were wondering, yes i sang, and YES i messed up... coming off a two week cold though, i am still overall happy with how i did. THEN i immediately went over to the start line with Rye, they had a real life cowboy on a horse to shoot the gun to start the race. Rye leaned over, gave me a quick kiss and told me to have fun. and then he was gone :)

On the Drive over, Riley assured me that i wouldn't Die... and i would do fine, and it wouldn't be that hard because i run that far with him on base all the time. OK, this was a trail run... through a working ranch... it was NOT pavement. i proved that when i totally face-planted :) ya not surprised... i'm a clutz, anyone remember the six months i spent in a full arm cast cause i broke my arm twice?! no injuries though, got right back up and kept running... around mile one i realized i was NOT pacing myself very well and was overdoing it, that was right before i fell... so the 2nd mile i walked most of it... cause it was ALL up steep muddy hills (oh did i mention it was raining?) mile 2 hit and i was off like a bandit again... kept just thinking "just don't stop running" i met up with 2 girls and ran the last mile with them, and then the last tiny leg i sprinted, cause i didn't want them to finish ahead of me.

So, I FINISHED!!!! NOT first, not even close (wasn't expecting or hoping to be) but i hit my goal of not coming in dead last. i wasn't far from it though, but for Rye signing me up the night before, and it being a freaking insane trail, AND being sick, i am more than impressed with myself.

So now for the interesting stuff, Riley is always improving, today he ranked in the top 25 overall for the half marathon (YA, he's amazing!) he was number 23, and 9th for his age division. Gosh i was SO proud of him! ok, well the dumb movie i WAS watching is over so i'm going to go make this AMAZING stuffed red pepper thing we saw on biggest loser, i will leave you with some pictures of today.

 Do you see his red shirt?
 GO BABE! GO BABE!
 Seriously, that is insanely well!
both of us (post-race) in our shirts. Rye REALLY wanted this picture. i couldn't believe how much he LOVED that i ran, he told me on the ride home that he really liked being able to talk about the course with me and actually have me "get it" it was definitely an AMAZING experience that i am glad we were able to have together, even if we didn't run together.

oh p.s. did i tell you the way Rye roped me into running the race.... i mentioned to him on thursday that i wanted to do a race so i could have my very own race shirt.. he found this race yesterday and said if they still had shirts available i was doing it. i really do love him.

4 comments:

  1. Once again you sounded fine! And we came in like 20 places from last (me and Jenna for the half) haha that trail was hard, Matts friend rolled down the concrete hill, haha, it was pretty insane!

    Congrats on your first 5k, that was my first half marathon too! Both of us are equally nuts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tammy! Matt did really well! i was talking to the guys that placed in like the top 3, they were all sharing battle stories of all their scrapes from yesterday, and of course talking about getting lost... alot. Riley got lost a few times, CRAZYness

    ReplyDelete
  3. you had a cast on when I met you. hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg, the guy who finished first was INSANE! we saw him on te way back when we were at mile 5!!! I'm glad I didn't fall haha, but getting lost sucked, and I'm so dang sore today!!

    ReplyDelete

What-Do-Ya-Think? lemme know!