Wednesday, July 18, 2012

My favorite project so far!

So this project started with a MUCH different end result in mind. I had these super cheap Ikea white frames that I wanted to do something with. I decided I wanted something for the door of the nursery... Thought about a wreath, then decided against it.

Then I came across this quote by Napoleon Bonaparte and decided I HAD to incorporate it into Miles' room. Inspiration hit! I was going to cut out some vinyl, put it on the cheap-o white frames, paint them gray then take the vinyl off. It was going to look perfect! I spent a good 3 hours picking out the design, cutting it out in the right size... and putting it on the 3 frames in the right spot. Seriously it took forever, and I was SOOOOO over this project at this point. I took the frames outside and spray painted them.

I brought them inside, started peeling the vinyl off, and off came the spray paint.... Ya, I was about to cry. I spent the next hour cleaning the paint off the frames to start over.

About this time is when Riley Skyped me. I explained the whole thing and had to fight back tears... He (and a few of the guys gave me the run-down of what I was going to do next)

 So I primed them last night and then let them dry overnight. This morning I brought them in RE-CUT the vinyl and applied it with transfer paper this time (seriously don't cut corners and skip this step, it makes it SOOO much easier, I promise!)

I realized at this point that if I pulled the vinyl up the primer was going to follow and I was going to be back at square one. A few tears may have escaped at this point.

I changed my plan. I was going to just paint them, leave the vinyl on and it was just going to show the design in the same color. I was confident it would look great... It HAD to look great or I was seriously going to lose it.

I went inside to figure out HOW I was going to complete the inside of the frames. I picked out all the scrapbook paper I had that matches my colors for the nursery and found 2 pages that would work. decided on a light gray vinyl and then got to work on the lettering.

And......... TADA!!!!!!!!




1 comment:

  1. That is a-door-able! So cute. I still love them!

    ReplyDelete

What-Do-Ya-Think? lemme know!