Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Nursery

So Riley has once again pointed out what a horrible blogger I am. It's true! I get so wrapped up in my projects and just forget to "document". That and part of me wants to keep the finished product of the nursery a secret until it's all DONE... But I will show a few little "sneak peeks" until it's done, Deal?!

I feel like I am running out of time. I am only ONE WOMAN, and I'm quite pregnant, and it's just me in the house so I am left to do all the projects with just my own two hands! Today was the first time I actually reached out and asked for help. I bought this cube organizer thing (I finally made the decision to NOT continue my search for the perfect dresser). This this was HEAVY, While loading it into the trunk I decided that carrying the box all the way up my flight of stairs was not a smart choice, So I called a friend and asked her to stop by later to help out... See I can humble myself and not just insist on doing it all myself! Speaking of dumb choices, we were talking in young women's (after church) about moving furniture while pregnant. One of the other leaders moved her Piano down a flight of stairs, and her couch UP a flight of stairs while she was about as far along as I am, and her husband was gone. Nope, you could not pay me.

Ok so now to the fun stuff. I have never pretended to be some awesome DIY-er, I make more mistakes than I have success stories... So follow along and guess the stupid thing I'll do before I tell ya what I did... There are quite a few mistakes along the way.

Let's start with the letter... Ok, so I know that SOOO many people do it, but I wanted to put Miles' name above the crib in some way. So I had this idea to paint some of my old white Ikea frames, hang them empty on the wall(no glass just the wood frame), and put some string wrapped letters inside. I painted the frames and that was completely uneventful (and I don't have pictures of them right now, you'll have to wait. Anyway, I decided I could cut out the letters on card stock with my silhouette Cameo and wrap it in string. So I looked around because I KNEW that I already had everything I would need for this project. I really wanted gray letters, but did not have gray string. I DID however have this.

 And some Dye. I dyed some sheets over last deployment with gray dye, but it kinda turned out a little to purplish-gray for my taste... So I decided to use my black Dye instead... and just NOT let it soak as long as it said to. (Do you see where this is going?)
 This is my water once I added the packet(I was 100% that this would work and I was a genius.)

I dunked the string, flipped it over, and took this picture. It just got blacker and blacker as the time wore on... CRAP.

Lucky for me I had another thing of string (don't ask, I have too many of A LOT of things). This time I used the GRAY dye
And what do ya know.... BINGO

I was so pleased with it and took it outside to allow it to dry... It was a cloudy and muggy day, so drying was NOT happening. I decided to throw it in a pillowcase and toss it in the dryer for just a few minutes.... seriously only like 5 minutes. After the time was up I opened the dryer confident that I was so smart by putting it in a pillow case (figuring out how this story ends yet?). I have NEVER seen such a string mess in my life!!!! I spent the next 6-8 hours unravelling just enough of the string to get all the letters covered.... Lessons learned!!! I will take some pictures of the remnants of my giant string mess, and of the letters tomorrow...

But for now I am done. I am started to fall asleep while typing and then coming to and not understanding what was written... I know, I'm strange. So stay tuned, cause I HAVE so many more projects that I will post about this week. This nursery is going to be a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What-Do-Ya-Think? lemme know!